1. Check out the old fashioned resources like your local library, local paper, local government website or community center for groups and organisations you can join or local events you can attend.
2. Join a church and get involved in a committee.
3. Join a gym and take a class.
4. If you’re a mum join a mummy-and-me class at a pool or children’s fitness center. Or join a local playgroup or mom’s group.
5. Take a non-credit class at the local college.
6. Check social networking sites like Facebook or Yahoo groups for local ‘new to the area’ groups. Or check sites like Big Tent and Meetup for events in your area. If a group doesn’t exist, create your own!
7. Become a rep for a company like Avon/Mary Kay/Silpada Jewellry. They can plug you into other local reps to help you sell your product at events or to established clients. You’ll make money at the same time!
8. Volunteer at a local shelter or charity shop
9. Check with your neighborhood housing association (if you have one) about groups, events or committees you can get involved in.
10. If you already own your own business check with your local Chamber of Commerce about small business owner groups or events.